Advancement Project’s National Office seeks a communicator to serve as a Communications Associate. This position is based in Advancement Project’s National Office in Washington DC and executes communications tactics under the supervision of the Senior Communications Associate, Deputy Director of Communications and Managing Director of Communications.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multiracial civil rights organization. Rooted in the great human rights struggles for equality and justice, we exist to fulfill America’s promise of a caring, inclusive, and just democracy. We use innovative tools and strategies in conjunction with strong community alliances to strengthen social movements and achieve high impact policy change. We combine law, communications, policy, and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We change the national discourse on race to provide opportunities for breakthroughs on racism. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE
The Communications Associate is responsible for supporting program communications by writing communications material, creating social medial content and assisting with departmental and external partner communication initiatives and activities in the areas of voting rights, immigrant justice, criminal justice, ending the school-prison-pipeline and education justice.
- Draft content for traditional media such as media advisories, press releases, e-advocacy email messages, petitions, blog entries, opinion editorials, statements and graphic content.
- Compose social media updates and make recommendations for blog and newsletter content and graphic design.
- Occasionally manage Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- Draft website content including press statements and blogs, and post to WordPress website.
- Monitor media coverage and public opinion of relevant topics, and maintain current knowledge of communications by partners and national ally organizations regarding issues of interest.
- Work closely with internal teams (communications, program and development) to implement planned strategies, special projects and events.
- Maintain press lists and media contacts, as well as cultivating relationships with local, national media contacts.
- Support grassroots and national partner communications needs, including developing and implementing strategies, providing on-site support and training.
- Develop and implement pitching strategies for media projects in close coordination with supervisor.
- Contribute to the development of marketing and public relations strategies and materials.
- Lead, co-lead special projects e.g., content initiatives or events.
- Collaborate with program teams to assist in the implementation of communications plans, including reports.
- Maintain working knowledge of programmatic issues, internal policies and procedures.
- Contribute to the overall success of the communications team.
Location/Region: Washington, DC (20005)